Saturday 1 December 2007

Trip 4 - Day 114

December 1st

What’s that noise? It’s my phone going, so I grab it out of my trouser pocket and don’t recognise the number. I answer anyhow and it’s Nam. “You call me straight back”. I do so and she says that she cannot find ‘home me’. I don’t know the name of the side Soi that I live in, so cannot give instructions to her taxi driver. I pull on my jeans and a top and go out to Khao Noi. As I leave the bedroom, I realise that it’s only 06:15

I get one of the taxi drivers from my local stand to talk with the other rider and 30 seconds later Nam is getting off the scooter and paying the driver. She’s still wearing the same clothes as last night, so it’s obvious she hasn’t been home. She tells me that she went short time with someone called John but "him no good", however he has given her 1000 baht. I have no idea why she then decided to come round to see me, as she knows I have no spare money. I’m still half asleep and my head cannot fathom out why I let myself get into this particular scenario, but it is quite exciting and a complete leap of faith into the unknown.

We spend a couple of hours messing about until at 08:30, Nam decides that she has to sleep and she just wraps herself up into a cocoon of bedding and hardly moves for the next five hours. She then wakes and decides she’s hungry, so we walk out on the Soi and she buys a whole raft of stuff which we take back to the house to eat.

She’s still tired so she just heads off back to bed and says that she needs to leave at 16:00, as she has to take food home to Mama and to change her clothes ready for another night working in the bar.

As she gathers up her stuff, she says again that she is sorry about the other night and that I had wasted my money.

In the evening, I finish off the food that she bought earlier and whilst it is spicier than anything A tends to eat or prepare, it’s very enjoyable.

I have been trying to speak with A today to find out what is going on, but after ringing a couple of times her phone then comes up as ‘busy’. I send her a text and then call again 30 minutes later. No real surprise in that she’s not coming back tonight and says that she doesn’t know if she’ll be back tomorrow either.

Due to the early start this morning and the recent run of late nights, I decide to get an early night for a change and at around midnight, I call it a day and hit the sack.

It's been an extremely strange day, however it hasn't cost anything and has been most enjoybale.

Expenditure :

0 baht

No comments: