Sunday 14 October 2007

Trip 4 - Day 66

October 14th

Our early night didn’t exactly lead to a good night’s sleep, however it seems that we are back ‘on track’ this morning and the atmosphere is not so frosty.

Today we are due to be visited by Mama and ‘seeter’ as they are bringing Phil’s bicycle over, however there’s a problem (Isn’t there always?) and I’m told that ‘seeter’ has to “go police” this morning as there’s been some incident with a Thai guy the night before threatening her. This means that A has to go and collect Mama and she also wants to get some food in as Mama will be cooking.

A makes the trip to Sri Racha and when she gets back, the heaven’s open and the Soi becomes a torrent of water. As I watch the water flowing, I realise that there are even bricks being washed along. It’s quite a strange experience standing there witnessing this power of the elements which has developed in less than 15 minutes.

Mama then cooks lunch (Panang) and I have to admit, she’s a great cook. After we’ve eaten, she then gets stuck into all the ironing that has stockpiled whilst A hasn’t been around. I’m ordered out of the way, so I just head outside, sit on the sofa with my book and while away a couple of hours of a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Once the rains stop, A asks if “We go shopping” as we need to restock on meat and we are nearly out of rice and a few other basics. I say that I’ll go to the shop and proceed to make a shopping list and I’m told to get 2 x 5kg of rice (1 for Mama) and 2 x Cooking Oil (1 for Mama) amongst other things.

As I get out onto Sukhumvit highway, I find that there are only two lanes of road and the other two are now a river. As I pass the ends of various Soi’s along the route, it looks like brown water rapids are joining the highway, however nobody seems to be the slightest bit fazed or even interested. I do my shopping, but when I get to the checkout, I’m not allowed to buy the beer in my trolley as it’s between 14:00 & 17:00 and illegal to buy.

Later on, A heads off to take Mama home, however she returns after only 20 minutes. It had started to rain, so Mama was going to simply get a bus from Naklua instead.

For our evening meal, we make our own Pork Wontons (Geeo Nam?) and very tasty they are too.

As A has to leave early in the morning for work, we have another early night, however I’m warned that if I “go with lady” again then A will “cut me for sure” and “feed to ducks”.

A is going to be away for three nights and she knows that I am out on Thursday, but I say that I’ll be home “Not too late” that night (It’s the Darkside afternoon / evening crawl that day).


Expenditure :

Petrol : 100 baht
Tesco : 665 baht
Food from market : 115 baht
Chang & Ice : 110 baht

No comments: