Sunday 9 September 2007

Trip 4 - Day 31

9th September

We have to go shopping this morning as there's little in the fridge, so it's off to Big C for breakfast which comes to 85 baht for the two of us and then a trip round the store where we buy some meat and some packets of pre packed Curry pastes (10 baht each), so that I can at least cook for myself when A is not about, whilst also getting such essentials as Strawberry Jam (for my toast in the mornings).

We return home and put everything away and then head off to Kev's place where I need to check his Internet configuration as it seems it has been unstable the past couple of days. A drops me off and says that she's going off to see a friend and will see me later. I ask her where and she says that she is going to Sri Racha to see one of the ladies that she works with.

I get to work on diagnosing the Internet connectivity problem and it seems that somehow the wireless access point has reset and has reverted to its default IP address which is clashing with the existing router. I therefore change the IP address of the router and ensure that only one device is acting as a DHCP server and things seem much more stable. There are still a few 'glitches' when access to the Thai DNS servers seems to be lost, but the service recovers from these fairly quickly usually.

I use the opportunity to apply a few patches to the PC, but in the main, I am just monitoring the service and running checks to ensure that it can recover correctly from a power cut and from the ADSL line dropping.

Everything seems to be okay and Kevin then fires up the gas barbecue that is his latest acquisition and I call A to let her know that Kevin is cooking for us. She arrives before we eat and it seems that she'd made arrangements with 'lady #2' to eat with her tonight, but she sits with us and has a few mouthfuls of food. (I eat most of what she doesn't eat).

I pack up my gear and we return home whereupon A says that she's going to get food ready. I join her downstairs and there's a cauldron of water on the boil and A is making pork wontons. I end up eating even more food and just having a single bottle of beer whilst chatting with Robin and it's an environment that A is clearly more comfortable with.

Expenditure :

Big C provisions : 645 baht
Food for evening cooking : 100 baht

No comments: