Thursday 13 September 2007

Trip 4 - Day 35

13th September

The day started with me being given a lift to the end of Pattaya Klang by A where I then jumped on a baht bus for the short trip to Carrefour. I was on a mission to find picture hooks for Kevin and after a fruitless search around HW, I actually located some in the Carrefour store.

As we have meat at home, I decide that I'd better stock up on a few vegetables and I decide to buy here where there are labels rather than make a trip to the market. I get all the vegetable ingredients to prepare a green curry using the packet paste bought earlier in the week (basil, kaffir leaves, eggplant & chilli) and I cannot resist buying a french stick (a farang food that I do still enjoy). So lunch is to be a baguette with cold meat, Thai lettuce & Chinese tomatoes (The closest I could get to a BLT).

I also buy pork loin and chicken breast to replenish the stocks that are running down in the fridge as well as a few general household items.

I then notice that my 'phone battery is running low and I know that I have left my USB charging lead at Kev's place, so I call in at one of the 'phone outlets in the store to check the price of a replacement USB cable for my Sony Ericsson. It's 200 baht, so I buy this and a 100 baht phone top up at the same time.

I then make the walk home declining numerous offers from the scooter taxi riders along the way. Just before crossing the railway line, I decide to stop at the D2M English Food Service shop to check out their bacon & sausage produce as this is something that Kevin has been trying hard with little success to source in Pattaya.

I ask the staff in the shop for a card so that Kevin (or Joy) can call them. The staff are extremely helpful and show me the various items and I'm given a pricelist.

    Pork sausage (Big) Approx 12 links - 175 baht / kg
    Pork sausage (Small) Approx 16 links - 175 baht / kg
    Irish sausage (Big) Approx 12 links - 175 baht / kg
    Irish sausage (Small) Approx 16 links - 175 baht / kg
    Lean Short Back Bacon - 175 baht / kg
    Middle Cut Bacon - 175 baht /kg
    Horseshoe Gammon - 175 baht / kg
    Back Gammon Steak - 175 baht / kg
    Beefburger (125g or 150g) - 175 baht /kg
    Pork Chop (300g- 350g) - 150 baht / kg
    T-Bone Steak (250g - 400g) - 270 baht / kg
    Pure Ground Beef - 100 baht / kg
    Rump Steak (250g) - 250 baht / kg
I'm told that they provide a free delivery service in the Pattaya area and their telephone number is 038-413702 or 083-2517913

As I'm about to leave the shop, I'm called back and given a 'sample' of two sausages and a pack of 3 or 4 Back Bacon rashers. The 'plan' is that I'll share these with Kevin when I see him next and provide a review, however I may just do a review on my own 'experience' (A 'proper' BLT is calling out to me).

A phones to say that she will be working tonight (as I suspected), so I make myself a green curry which I overdo on the chillis a bit and it's quite 'spicy', but bloody good if I say so myself.

I settle down to a bottle of Chang and a couple of DVD's, then speak to A briefly before switching out the light and drawing a close to yet another day in LoS.

Expenditure :

Baht Bus : 10 baht
Carrefour : 314.50 baht
Telehone Cable : 200 baht
Telephone Top Up : 100 baht

    No comments: