Tuesday 11 September 2007

Trip 4 - Day 33

11th September

I awake at 08:00 and the day is already hot and there's a clear sky, so it's laundry day. I strip the bed and then decide that I will also wash the bedspread as the label says that it's machine washable. I end up with five loads of washing in total, so that keeps me pretty occupied during the day as I need to regularly turn the quilt to ensure that it is dry before the evening.

Kevin sends a text asking if I'm going to the curry night at Noi's bar and I call to say that I will probably go along for a few beers later on, but I wouldn't be eating. He says that he'll be there about 20:00, and I say that I plan on getting there between 20:30 & 21:00.

When A arrives home, I ask her if she wants to join me for a drink, but it seems that she doesn't want to go out. I say that it's okay and I'll stay in with her, but she says that I must go as I have told Kevin that I am going.

Before I go though, she's determined to cook me some 'farang' food. It's a good attempt, but cold vegetables and a 'gravy' made from Tomato ketchup, vinegar and a vegetable stock cube whilst being tangy and tasty isn't really 'authentic'. The patience employed with the mashed potato was almost too much to watch. The potato was sieved through a rice masher and was actually a potato puree rather than a mash, but again very tasty. This was the meal cooked to 'christen' the hotplate bought a couple of weeks ago.



I arrive at Noi's bar at 20:30 and Kevin is nowhere to be seen.

There's a bunch of regulars that have been for the curry, so the place is busy and I end up sitting at one of the barstools overlooking the road. I find myself in conversation with a BM called Ozguy I think it was. Seems that he became fed up with the UK just over 30 years ago and simply upped sticks to Australia where he has lived ever since and with his holidays in Thailand, he is quite happy with his life.

Whilst talking, I find that one of the ladies from the bar has sat behind me and has started giving me a relaxing neck and shoulder massage. (It's a wonderful experience to be sitting in an open bar watching the world go by; having a cold beer and a chat with another guy and be attended to by a pretty girl.) I buy her a drink when I order my next drink (as it would be rude not to) and there's a lovely smile which I think I will never tire of seeing.

The bar slowly starts emptying as the curry eaters depart and Ozguy grabs a lift with BM Mulphy as he's staying in Metro Apartments which is just round the corner in Soi LK Metro from Mulphy's Rockhouse bar. I now turn my attention to the girl that has been looking after me and we sit looking out on the street and getting all the usual Q&A's out of the way. Her name is Na and she's 25; she's the best looker in the bar tonight in my opinion and she speaks pretty good English.

I buy another drink for the two of us and we sit looking out at the passing traffic on the darkened Soi and listen to the music emanating from the bar behind us. My resolve is weakening I fear, but I am still strong enough to hold out tonight. I then realise that I have a text from Kevin. It simply says "Answer Phone".

I check and find that I've had a number of 'missed calls', so I call him. He asks me how my neck feels and I say that it's okay. He says that he knows that, as he's been watching 'on and off' on the webcam for the past couple of hours. He says that Joy has also been watching (so it's just as well that I have been good and kept my hands to myself).

I'm just about to go when the heavens open and the rain comes down, so just one more drink for the two of us before I leave and I'm home at 23:35.

Expenditure :

Noi's Bar : 505 baht (including 3 LD's & tip)

No comments: