Monday 24 September 2007

Trip 4 - Day 46

24th September

The day of the move and we are awake at 06:30. The lorry is due sometime in the morning and looking around, I realise that there's a surprising amount of stuff to be moved.

It's all got to be carried along the balcony, down the stairs and then loaded up.

The lorry arrives at 07:15 and we start the task. The lorry driver is not a removal man it seems and he simply arranges the goods in the lorry, so myself A & Kye make many trips up and down to move 1 Double Bed, 2 Wardrobes, 1 Computer Desk, 1 TV, 1 TV Stand, 1 Washing Machine, 1 Tall Fridge / Freezer, 1 Coffee Table, 1 Shoe Cabinet, 1 Shoe stand, 1 Sofa, 1 Operators Chair, 1 Clothes Drying Rail and sundry bags of bedding items and towels.

After loading up, we head off for the 2 minute drive to the new place where everything is unloaded. It's still only 08:45 and I'm completely knackered I pay the lorry driver the 600 baht charge and before we even have time to make a cup of tea, Mama & 'seeter' arrive with bags of clothes, shoes & toys for 'Pheel'.

One 'casualty' of the move has been a side to the plinth of the double bed which has been snapped in two somehow. It seems that this is no big problem though and Mama disappears off with 'seeter' (and a 1000 baht note) and they return within 15 minutes with a replacement piece, so it would seem that a lot of the bedframes must be made to a standard specification which surprises me somewhat. Mama returns me 600 baht, so the damages for the move have been quite reasonable really.

The bed is assembled and the furniture is put in place. Things are all put away and then it's time to set out the 'Buddha shrine'. I'm sent off to get the 'red Fanta' and a half bottle of Sang Som, whilst A goes for the fruit and cigars.

In the evening, I'm too exhausted to do anything much, so I just sit out the front of the bungalow and listen to the sounds of the Soi whilst reading one of the books that Kev has passed on to me ( Atlantis by David Gibbens ) and have a 'supper' of Green Curry and rice 'al fresco'.

To finish the day off, I have a shower and thoroughly enjoy the experience of feeling hot water for the first time since I left England over a month ago. Even though I am completely exhausted, I find it difficult to sleep, so I just stay up reading for a while before finally going to bed at around midnight.


Expenditure :

Lorry driver : 600 baht
Bed Side Panel : 400 baht
'Buddha stuff' : 170 baht
Mama allowance : 1000 baht
Padlocks for gates & doors : 195 baht
Rubbish Bin : 175 baht

No comments: